Computer won't read DVDs

Yusaku_02
Org Profile

Computer won't read DVDs

Post by Yusaku_02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:02 pm

I recently downloaded Avisynth 2.56 and the AVMapp and now my computer won't play DVDs. I'm not quite sure but I think you needed to download them as well as install them, which I didn't do. Now, whenever I try to play a DVD with Windows Media Player a message pops up. It says "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection." I deleted both programs, but that didn't help, and no other media player will play them either. None of the Windows Media Player troubleshooting suggestions helped. I'm totally lost on what to do, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:13 pm

are you sure that you have a dvd drive?
please post your system specs

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 pm

It is like it said: Windows won't let you play copy protected DVD's. I think it's stupid because it is called "copy protection" and not "watching protection". There's a trick that worked for me - play a DVD without copy protection for a short moment first, and insert then the copy protected DVD.

The other possibility - rip it to your harddrive and watch it from there.

Yusaku_02
Org Profile

Post by Yusaku_02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Kariudo - I'm absolutely positive I have a DVD drive. I'm pretty sure it's a 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability.

Keeper of Hellfire - Windows did let me play protected DVDs in the past, but not since I downloaded AVIsynth and AMVapp.
meh...

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:50 pm

ok...just making sure (you'd be suprised sometimes. We had one person here ask what rebooting was)

your player's region is the same as your disk right?
...other than that, you may want to search for updated drivers/firmware for your dvd drive...but I'd give what Keeper of Hellfire a shot first

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:53 pm

try VLC media player ...
see if that works

Yusaku_02
Org Profile

Post by Yusaku_02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:28 pm

my dad took care of the problem. Tech support told him to install a new codec. (I was considering that, but wanted to see if I could fix the problem another way first.) Thanks for the suggestions.
meh...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”