The Voice of reason intervenes. [about console gaming]

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:17 pm

dwchang wrote:
SSJVegita0609 wrote:Dreamcast: I liked it, it was worth the buy, but I'm not a splooging fanboy, mainly due to the lack of RPGs. However, some of the fighting games were the greatest I've ever had the pleasure of playing, and it was a decent sports game console as well. Sonic Adventure was as good as Mario 64 for its time, and House of the Dead 2 was always good for a few laughs (at the dialogue mainly) and solid gameplay.
RPGs? If I may, I suggest Grandia 2 (phenomenal gameplay in fights), Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue.

All good RPGs. Not my favorites (Lunar 2 and Suikoden II), but still very good.

You are right though that there weren't *that* many RPGs, but let's be honest...it had what...less than 2 years?

Anyway check those out. You can get them fairly cheap nowadays.
I'm eyeing Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage. It aint an RPG, but no anime fan can do without it. :wink:
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:22 pm

Savia wrote:
dwchang wrote:
Savia wrote:Agreed on all three; great games all, although Shenmue's certainly not to everyone's tastes. Although I played the PS2 version of Grandia, it's still great.
/me hates the fact Shenmue 2 only came out on the X-box (only system I don't own). I hear it gets a lot better too ;_;
Hang on, I was certain that a version was available for Dreamcast.

I've played it, for crying out loud.
Yeah it was released in Europe and not in the states ;_;.
Cataclysm wrote:I'm eyeing Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage. It aint an RPG, but no anime fan can do without it.
I got my copy for 5 bucks a year ago, so I imagine it's around the same still. It doesn't have a lot of replay value and is just a button masher (hitting sword attack over and over), but still cool if you've seen the anime.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Onideus_Mad_Hatter
Org Profile

Post by Onideus_Mad_Hatter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:25 pm

dwchang wrote:First off, Hatter you're a retard.
I'd rather be retarded than be whatever the hell it is you are, Cupcake.
Sega made some of the best games in the 90's and early 2000's within their Dreamcast and Saturn systems.
ROTFL...yeah, like what? And why don't you post the sales while you're at it. I mean, fer keerist sake man, the best you could come up with was only around 450,000 in sales on Sonic over the course of over a YEAR. Fuckin Final Fantasy X-2 sold around 1.5 MILLION in one freakin WEEK! I'm sure a game hardware buff like you feels the need to defend your failing, oh wait, I mean DEAD system, but don't ever try and kid yourself, you're no gamer.
They continue to make good games today and although it saddens me that the Dreamcast died, it makes sense with all the "big companies."
It is quite ironic that they finally ditched making hardware to only make games...*snicker*...they should have stuck with what they were good at, only did it for a company who could make good games.
Although I own other systems, I'm with Otohiko on this one. I *love* my Dreamcast.
I think you're just bitter and feel stupid for wasting so much money on a now dead system so you're trying to overcompensate by raving on about how incredible it was. Free cl00, it wasn't, that's why they stopped making it. Oh and another free cl00, nearly every "good" game that was available on Dreamcast was also ported to nearly every other system. Sega didn't really have any "good" in house games, other than Sonic...and boy lemme tell ya, in comparison to titles like Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc...it's not even a contender on that playing field.
It is easiliy my favorite system, even after buying my PS2 and GC. The sheer number of games I bought in that short span is astounding...and even more amazing is how good each of them was.
Yeah that's the other thing Sega did, focused on quantity rather than quality. They would release like 50 shit games at a time while Nintendo and such would release around 5 REALLY GOOD games at a time.
No good games from Sega?

Sonic series?
And that's the ONLY one...and even it's sales are pretty dismal.
Virtual Fighter series?
Isn't Virtual Fighter 4 available on PS2? Hrmmm...yes, I think that it is.

See that's the OTHER thing about Dreamcast, any semi good games they might have gotten from 3rd party game vendors also ported to all the major systems, so it was like...what the hell is the Dreamcast for again?
Sega GT series?
Nights?
Wow, mediocre games, woo!
Panzer Dragoon?
And wasn't that one ported to XBox?
Shenmue?
Yet another mediocre title, I mean it's you're trying to compare say Dark Cloud II to Final Fantasy X. Sure Dark Cloud II was an okay game, but it's NOTHING in comparison to some of the really GREAT games. Oh, but then you did say that Sega only had "good" games, heh.

Also it should be noted that the sequal to Shenmue is available on other systems.
NFL/NBA/NHL2KX series?
*snicker*

What the fuck crack have you been smoking? I mean, hello, sports games ALWAYS get ported to nearly every system imaginable. Not only that but they churn those things out like there's no tomorrow.
Jet Set Radio?
Isn't that a GBA title? o_O
All of these games are great and most of them made quite a bit of money.
None of them could even come anywhere close to matching the sales of games on rival systems. Oh hey, I'm sure it's just cause Sega got a bad deal, it surely couldn't have had anything to do with the fact that nobody fucking cared about Dreamcast cause they knew FF and other REALLY great games wouldn't be availabe on it.
And then there's the third party support. It's not a secret that most of the third parties were rooting for the DC and thus supported it.
Uh...like who? Sure as hell Square Soft wasn't supporting them...or Enix...or Konami...or well pretty much ALL the game companies that actually produce GOOD games.
-Soul Caliber? Still only system to have it.
-Marvel vs. Capcom 2? As much as I hate this game, it still came out on the DC first and did quite well.
Even more mediocrity!
-Resident Evil: Code Veronica? Notice how the PS2 and GC finallly got it?
That's the other thing you can say about Sega supporters, they have no patience at all. I mean any "good" title that ever came out on Sega was pretty much always ported to the other systems in a year or so.
-Grandia 2?
Oh yeah, now there's a craptastic title!
Need I go on?
Only if you want to embarass yourself further.
BTW for someone who claims to know so much about games, it's funny that you quote Final fantasy numbers when in fact it's the #2 video game in Japan. Anyone who knows anything would have easily quoted Dragon Quest instead. The frenzy over this Enix game is exponentially greater than any Final Fantasy. Too bad A) I dislike Dragon Warrior games and B) there hasn't been a new one in awhile.
Um...and when did Enix ever make games for Sega? Oh yeah, never. So what's you're point?
[size=0]
Image[/size]

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:26 pm

dwchang wrote:Yeah it was released in Europe and not in the states ;_;.
My God. That's got to be one of the only time that happens, ever. It's actually in subtitled Japanese too, IIRC.

/rubs in

I lub you really :P
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:27 pm

Headhunter, another killer DC game alongside Shenume 2 that didn't get released in the US but the remakes are selling well when ported to new consoles. Headhunter goes to the PS2 and Shenume 2 to the XBox. I've got Shenume 2, and Headhunter is getting a sequel on the XBox which I plan to get. Sega is seriously raking it in as a 3RD party developer.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

El Banana
Org Profile

Post by El Banana » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:28 pm

SoulCalibur = Mediocrity?

:lol: :lol:
I like bugging people. Deal with it.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:37 pm

Look, Hatter is being a jackass yet again. Pull out my crayons and color me surprized. :O

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:48 pm

dwchang wrote:
SSJVegita0609 wrote:Dreamcast: I liked it, it was worth the buy, but I'm not a splooging fanboy, mainly due to the lack of RPGs. However, some of the fighting games were the greatest I've ever had the pleasure of playing, and it was a decent sports game console as well. Sonic Adventure was as good as Mario 64 for its time, and House of the Dead 2 was always good for a few laughs (at the dialogue mainly) and solid gameplay.
RPGs? If I may, I suggest Grandia 2 (phenomenal gameplay in fights), Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue.

All good RPGs. Not my favorites (Lunar 2 and Suikoden II), but still very good.

You are right though that there weren't *that* many RPGs, but let's be honest...it had what...less than 2 years?

Anyway check those out. You can get them fairly cheap nowadays.
I enjoyed Grandia 2, but as you say, it wasn't a favorite. Shemue didn't really click with me. I've yet to try Skies of Arcadia but I've heard nothing but good things, so I may.

And for the record I didn't say there were no good RPGs, just an unfortunate lack of them, which made PS2 more appealing to me.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:56 pm

With Square merging with Enix, and Sony basically buying square, it's safe to say that the Playstation series of consoles is the only place anyone is going to see a variety of cinimatic RPGs that people have come to expect. This doesn't mean I'm disapointed I bought my XBox though, Fable is going to make waves. :wink:

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:05 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:With Square merging with Enix, and Sony basically buying square, it's safe to say that the Playstation series of consoles is the only place anyone is going to see a variety of cinimatic RPGs that people have come to expect. This doesn't mean I'm disapointed I bought my XBox though, Fable is going to make waves. :wink:
I'm a Fable skeptic, it seems like too much emphasis is being placed on making the game look pretty and have nifty new features and not enough on memorable substance. As for the whole Sqaure/Enix thing, they're doing some work for Nintendo as well (FF:CC).
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Return to “General Off Topic”