Eidolon

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Re: Eidolon

Post by Animated » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I just felt that i had to write this.

Ok. I dig it too. It's great, awesome, unbelievable, yes, massive amount of effort. But... The main flaw of Eidolon is... how can i say it... Too much symbolism. There's a 5% of the people that will watch it and take it into deeper consideration, the meanings behind every scene, tha actual story, every feeling that Eidolon was suppose to pass.

The remaining 95% has just seen:

A girl, walking into an abandoned house. There seems to be a ghost in there, and obviously there's something strange about the place. Then the girl falls down (maybe...) and has a flashback. Then the ghost appears. Voila, that's all.

And that's the reason i consider this as the biggest troll in the history of amvs. The viewer gets this, istead of a "real" scenario. After so many years of preperations.

Also.

tl;dr: Eidolon is TOO smart for the average viewer.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Animated wrote:And that's the reason i consider this as the biggest troll in the history of amvs.
That's only because you expected something "normal" out of it.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:48 am

Castor Troy wrote:
Niotex wrote: It might not be an amv in the "traditional sense". But it's still an amv as it meshes together various anime sources with music. So that comment never holds up in my opinion. As for the making it look more fake argument, in the end I work for myself. If other people don't understand or realize what I'm doing then they're just missing out. I'm not going to conform to the sub-par expectations of the general audience. That would be the closest thing to selling out and making a crowd-pleaser.

I honestly have no intention of using this as a portfolio piece. While a lot of people have told me it would be a great addition, I simply do not feel comfortable with including copyrighted sources so blatantly. So I highly doubt I'll be seeing any work out of this project anytime soon.
Since you put it that way, I appreciate this video far more now that I understand the reasoning.

Always follow your instinct. :up:
:up:
McDirty wrote:
Niotex wrote: I honestly have no intention of using this as a portfolio piece. While a lot of people have told me it would be a great addition, I simply do not feel comfortable with including copyrighted sources so blatantly. So I highly doubt I'll be seeing any work out of this project anytime soon.
You should consider making a 1 minute motion graphics demo reel. That would be very sweet! :)
I'm too nit picky on concepts and originality. I'm sure I could do something for the sake of doing it but it wouldn't be satisfying for myself. I have done graphic work in the past and am currently doing so. I recently finished up the visual effects for a dutch music video. So technically I could splice something together. I highly doubt I will right now though till I have some imo interesting pieces.
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:This simply doesn't exist.
It is obviously a troll thread and should be locked and removed.
:dino:
ReggieSmalls wrote:That was great
Thanks.
Castor Troy wrote:
ReggieSmalls wrote:That was great
no, U

:dino:
yes, Ü
:uhoh:
machina21 wrote:My goodness me.

Certainly a great example of having a vision and the technical chops to bring that vision to life. Although i'll admit i enjoyed the breakdown more, but thats because i've enjoyed watching the "making of" of movies. I certainly appreciate the video more after watching how its made. Good shit. :up:
I feel like a broken record for stating this but this falls short of my vision. Surely one of the reasons why I'll revisit it in the future in another medium. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakdown, makes picking apart scenes worth it.
Warheart wrote:I never thought this would see the light of day (or rather the org). It's funny to see what you altered since the last beta I saw probably back in 08. ;)
I've forced a Warheart out of it's winter sleep. Things haven't changed that drastically since then I think but all the versions have become somewhat at a blur at this point. Glad you enjoyed it.
ZetZu wrote:Watched this quiet a couple of times now... I dig it.
Glad to see people digging it.
Animated wrote:I just felt that i had to write this.

Ok. I dig it too. It's great, awesome, unbelievable, yes, massive amount of effort. But... The main flaw of Eidolon is... how can i say it... Too much symbolism. There's a 5% of the people that will watch it and take it into deeper consideration, the meanings behind every scene, tha actual story, every feeling that Eidolon was suppose to pass.

The remaining 95% has just seen:

A girl, walking into an abandoned house. There seems to be a ghost in there, and obviously there's something strange about the place. Then the girl falls down (maybe...) and has a flashback. Then the ghost appears. Voila, that's all.

And that's the reason i consider this as the biggest troll in the history of amvs. The viewer gets this, istead of a "real" scenario. After so many years of preperations.

Also.
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://www.23hq.com/23666/4347447_63bc6 ... andard.jpg

tl;dr: Eidolon is TOO smart for the average viewer.
I wouldn't call it so much a flaw but more so it being exposed to the wrong audience in that sense. People are free to establish their own interpretation as they please, some will simply take it at face value and that's fine. I made this video understanding full well that it requires a certain kind of viewer to appreciate it exactly how I meant it. It just happens to be a very niche one.

As for your troll reasoning, I completely understand what you mean with that. I'd be gimped too if I went to see what I thought was a 90+ minute movie, only to be subjected to a abstract short film. I never stated it would be a 5 minute piece though, so that was something out of my control.
Pwolf wrote:
Animated wrote:And that's the reason i consider this as the biggest troll in the history of amvs.
That's only because you expected something "normal" out of it.
I don't like normal :uhoh:

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 am

Intense
Awesome credits

Stylish Making-of

Kain-x-spirits
Org Profile

Post by Kain-x-spirits » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 am

Great :up:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm

I have not read through this thread, so forgive me if I repeat what has already been said, Mitch.

This is an amazing video. I've become jaded with all the effects-y videos that, while they obviously take a lot of effort, kind of fade into the background of, well, effects-y videos. So many of those videos go out of their way to make the effects and effort obvious. It's kinda like the editor is screaming, "Hey, I spent hours in After Effects to do all this! Check this out!" Which is fine, and many of those videos are truly awesome. But this is something completely different.

It's getting harder and harder to do conceptually new things with AMVs. This video - the idea that you should spend hours and hours in AE to HIDE the effects - is something relatively novel. While compositing and mixing animes is hardly new, this level of effort is nearly unheard-of. I love it - this is one step short of doing your own, original animation. And what's truly impressive is that a viewer who doesn't know the history of this video, and who doesn't watch the making-of video, may not see the big deal.

In many ways that's probably the biggest compliment you as the editor will receive. I personally hope this is the general direction AMV editors will start moving. I know it's not to your complete satisfaction, but what I love about this more than anything is how you as the editor tried to make something almost completely from scratch. You used characters and settings from existing scenes, but you twisted and warped them into something utterly your own - that is awesome. In many ways this DOES feel like original animation - Lord knows you spent enough time on it for it to be.

You went above and beyond in every imaginable way, and I can barely tell. In my book that deserves a huge :up:

osnar
Org Profile

Post by osnar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 am

i love this video, it gives shivers to the viewer **

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 am

I know nuts about the history behind this video. I've just been out of the usual circles in the past couple of years to have known about it.

Anyway, I can't say I got anything out of it. Maybe I'm just your typical engineer that takes in what he sees in front of him and can't interpret anymore than what's on screen; just cold, hard bits and pieces that as they came together, felt like using a super computer to play solitaire. But when it comes to AMVs, I'm always looking for pure visceral enjoyment and if doesn't have that, it's not something I'll ever consider great.

Yes, I hear plenty of praise for the effort involved and I can understand that from your explanations and flowcharts but hey, as much as you made this for yourself and for your own expectations, I'm also entitled to say that this video didn't reach me where all the hype was leading to.

LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Post by LeapofFate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I came.

This must of been a bitch to make.

:up:

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Well, buddy. Here it is.

Before I get into anything, I do want to say congrats on finally finishing* this. It is something to be proud of, that's for sure. Ultimately, you've taken your medium and used it to craft something above that. I wouldn't feel like this falls under the traditional definition of an AMV. There's Anime, and there's Music, but it stands out on its own from the crowd. It's not anything lesser, not by any means. It's just very different.

I think, for me, this project succumbs to what plagues many projects with such a long development time. Take Duke Nukem Forever, for example. Perhaps an overused example when referring to Eidolon in the past, but I think it's apt. DNF is finally coming out, and it's everything people wanted. But on the same token, people have been waiting so long for it, there's just no way it can be as huge as people expect it to be. Again, it's not at all like it's bad, but there's a certain level of anticipation that just can't be matched. On top of that, you're left with elements that you might have been really satisfied with when the project began (what, 3 years ago?) but are you happy with them now? Is there anything that, given the motivation and time, you would have gone back and tried to tweak even more?

But regardless, this is a beast of a project. You've delivered an astounding compositional piece, not only technically, but in a narrative form as well. You know the little gripes I have with some of your effects, but that hasn't changed over the years :P

I know you're against using this video as a reel piece, but I think taking the breakdown, tweaking it a little to show a more fluid reveal of the backstage process would give you a really solid item for a reel. Particularly if you're looking for compositing/effects work, seeing into the process is a HUGE appeal to employers. Just a thought.

Anyway, congrats again on getting this thing done. Relieved to finally have people off your back about it? :aimkissyface:

*Creative black spaces, man. I know you could have tightened those up.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”