Anime Boston 2011 Unofficial Ballot and Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2011 Unofficial Ballot and Winners

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:13 pm

xDreww2 wrote:Would you happen to know how many people pick the finalist for the con? Only one person? Or a few?
IIRC, Adam (the contest coordinator) said over 30 people showed up to the prescreening - it's a really big party. Also a pretty long one... there were over 150 entries this year.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 pm

ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

OMG. That is an epic looking trophy!

<3

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:06 pm

That trophy looks sweet! When I get mine it will match well with my clear Katsucon trophy from last year :)!
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote: IIRC, Adam (the contest coordinator) said over 30 people showed up to the prescreening - it's a really big party. Also a pretty long one... there were over 150 entries this year.
150 videos would take forever to go through lol.

And for editor awards at least, I think it said on the rules page about having a panel of 5 judges comprised of AB staff/editors.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 pm

tehninjaness wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote: IIRC, Adam (the contest coordinator) said over 30 people showed up to the prescreening - it's a really big party. Also a pretty long one... there were over 150 entries this year.
150 videos would take forever to go through lol.

And for editor awards at least, I think it said on the rules page about having a panel of 5 judges comprised of AB staff/editors.
The editor awards are separate - they only see the finalists and they have pertinent editing knowledge and experience. The pre-screeners are more representative of a convention audience than the judges.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

xDreww2
Org Profile

Post by xDreww2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
xDreww2 wrote:Yeah..I was a little surprised that won..I mean I understand comedy but I don't understand why romance. Would you happen to know how many people pick the finalist for the con? Only one person? Or a few? Well..no use arguing whats been done. Hopefully next year their will be a better selection of videos and winners for anime boston.
I'm assuming you haven't seen Toradora...
Of course I seen it. I'm not talking about the anime itself. I'm talking about your video.

snapxynith
Org Profile

Post by snapxynith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 am

I have to agree with kiarrens. Getting a video into a contest requires both knowing the audience and knowing the general demeanor of the judges. You have to choose your battles. You'll either need to change your editing style/concepts to be better in their eyes or change to which venues you submit. When the time comes that you can evoke the audience's feelings strongly while doing it with integrity, all of us will thank you for it.

I consider AB to be part of the big leagues and have not entered until this year because in my on/off entries and practice work I have not felt them to be worthy of the venue. xxDrew2, I have watched your team's work after your comments here. While they are in high volume and better than the median, they usually drop pacing around minute one, I see a lot of embraces and visual tropes that say "relationship" but nothing that makes me really relate with the characters or invokes emotion from their time on screen. Most of the time the best sections of the videos you've produced are closely related to action based sections with a lot of beat sync. Which is saying something very positive that is usually missed by many starting out in the art.

I honestly did not think my video would hold up to HD videos on screen, I didn't plan it to. I am still honored that I was put up against those with the determination or the hardware to edit on that resolution. With luck, the video held some modicum of interest. Especially with only the first minute of effects being completed at the time*cough*

After seeing tehninjaness' work it made me realize a few preconceptions that have been holding back my videos due to "classical" movie edits. The video effects are easy enough to deconstruct but that doesn't stop them from having impact. They have pop and good screen presence. Before now I had very little respect for transition effects thrown onto a video. It has made me appreciate and start researching plugins and generated effects to reduce my production time while increasing my quality. My video was primarily custom work, masking, and direct redraws of cells that became added on top of the clean cuts.

I still don't know how you mask quickly theninjaness but I know each frame takes me 20 minutes to go from nothing to a clean, crisp mask for one to two characters. At least, it does now that I've had to do over 200 or some stupid, similar number after this video.

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 am

snapxynith wrote: I still don't know how you mask quickly theninjaness but I know each frame takes me 20 minutes to go from nothing to a clean, crisp mask for one to two characters. At least, it does now that I've had to do over 200 or some stupid, similar number after this video.
You using Vegas? This seems to be the big thing about the program, from what Lantis told me at the AMV 101 panel. I never knew that Vegas apparently has an amazing masking tool.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

snapxynith
Org Profile

Post by snapxynith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 am

I saw you mention this advancement earlier but from what I saw of tutorials and features I was unable to notice any difference from the manual trace in AE. I thought maybe it could do with something with Find Edges and making an automatic mask but I have not had the chance to try that process but that can work in either program from my knowledge.

Return to “AMV Contests”