AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Re: AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 am

Shin-AMV wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
https://kasiakucaj.files.wordpress.com/ ... 8149_n.jpg
Don't worry I had a snickers and I'm back to myself again.
I knew you'd take up corporate sponsorship one of these days.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am

Warlike Swans wrote:
IKR! First he sold out to Crunchyroll, and now Snickers.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 am

kireblue wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:
IKR! First he sold out to Crunchyroll, and now Snickers.
Perhaps the *real* problem with the stream was lack of corporate sponsorship. Next year the stream can pay for extra trophies. Or maybe just consolation chocolate.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:43 am

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 am

OK, I've had enough. This ends now.

1) I WILL NOT squash free debate of the entries. Don't like it? Run your own damn contest. END OF STORY.

2) I WILL NOT try to dictate what people do in their free time, and this includes house parties and online discussion of any sort. Stop asking me to.

3) I HAVE reviewed portions of the stream and have found NOTHING AT ALL that requires even a 'tisk-tisk' from me so far. I have NOT reviewed ALL of it. It has been publicly posted and if you have a problem with anything in it, you are to send a PRIVATE EMAIL to videoart@awa-con.com registering a FORMAL protest, and giving me the hour, minute and second of the portion(s) you object to, WHY you object to it, and if at all possible a transcription of what you find objectionable IN CONTEXT. I will caution you STRONGLY, the only objections that will result in ANY action are those related to Anime Weekend Atlanta's rules, available here: http://awa-con.com/information/rules-an ... f-conduct/ and actual rules violations, available here: http://awa-con.com/events/vat/entering-the-vat/.

3) (edit) I've changed my mind. The stream was a private event, and I'm not going to police it. If you came into someone's house and they insulted you, you'd leave. If you came into the stream and didn't like what you heard, you should have left. Those who participated never should have felt obligated to post recordings of their private event. I will be editing the prior post and removing the links.

4) I WILL be adjusting the rules, up to and including potentially renaming this event and restructuring everything or cancelling it outright. At this point, I feel this has become a toxic thing. It is not fostering community, it is tearing it apart. It is not encouraging new talent, giving them something to aspire to, it is scaring new talent away. This is because of *this thread*, not because of anything done in the contest. I am hearing things like "is it always this bad", and I'm wondering what the hell we've come to. It's OVER.

Questions? Comments?
jingoro@jingoro.net
https://discord.gg/4QR364P

Insults? Demands?
> /dev/null

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 am

I will add, all the comments following Shin's post were funny as shit. A golf clap to y'all and glad to see we're all still friends.

But this conversation needs to stop, at least for a little while. I'll unlock it once everyone (including me) has had a chance to cool down.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:35 am

1) Constructive conversation has started to happen on Discord. If you're reading this you're invited.

2) Since it is, I'm unlocking this thread. Please keep it civil. Please be aware things are in flux as I said, and the demeanor and carriage of this forum will contribute to how whatever I do with things is done.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Since every wants to stop beating around the bush, the real question everyone should answer (honestly) is "how many videos could you identify the creator of in this supposidly blind contest?" with the follow up of "Is that really okay?"

I'm not talking about things you were kinda sure of based on style or anything, I'm talking people that outed themselves through other conversations or outright betas beforehand.

This is one of the roots of all the animosity - A lot of people can't honestly answer zero. Unless and until they can, there will always be suspicion, and for good reason. There are biases at play that aren't even conscious ones. It's human nature.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Since every wants to stop beating around the bush, the real question everyone should answer (honestly) is "how many videos could you identify the creator of in this supposedly blind contest?" with the follow up of "Is that really okay?"

I'm not talking about things you were kinda sure of based on style or anything, I'm talking people that outed themselves through other conversations or outright betas beforehand.

This is one of the roots of all the animosity - A lot of people can't honestly answer zero. Unless and until they can, there will always be suspicion, and for good reason. There are biases at play that aren't even conscious ones. It's human nature.
Um... outing yourself isn't against the rules. The contest isn't "supposedly blind", it's "tacitly blind". It's "as blind as you want to be". And that's mostly because I'm not willing to adjudicate between accusations of "I know that's [X]'s video" trying to get a DQ, when really that's just a lucky guess.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Okay then. I'm out as well. It was a good run.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “AMV Contests”