AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
jingoro wrote:Masters was started because Joe said he was too good and wouldn't enter Expo anymore. ;)
Sounds just like Joe. :rofl:

Was pro started to make sure Joe didn't get all the votes? :shark:
But Daric broke the blind rule that first year...

Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:11 pm

AMV_4000 wrote:I'm gonna a need everyone to take a step back and remember this is a hobby and it's supposed to be for fun. Contests are competitive and serve little reward other than other people telling you you're decent at your hobby. I know everyone wants this to be one thing or another but realistically it's hard/impossible to make everyone happy. Let's not get too worked up about this, I thought this was supposed to be fun.
I've said this before, I don't like contests and I think it's dumb to have a hobby and then ask to be judged on who is better at the hobby. Just Make Art, I know everyone wants to compete but if we split the community there won't be a contest to enter.

Jingoro, you've been amazingly patient with all our drama. On the surface we look all hot and bothered but I think underneath everything both sides of the same coin are actually hearing and listening to each other. But they just don't agree. And they're not going to agree because they both feel very strongly about their position. Which is fine, we're adults and we've proven we don't have to agree to remain friends (or at least most of us I presume?). Giving the participants the opportunity to suggest changes is commendable, but as coordinator you're left in a very difficult position because EVERYONE has an opinion, most with sturdy foundations, and they range on opposite ends of the spectrum. There is no one system that everyone will agree to happily. Some may even drop. Some already have. Some have even opt out of this debate itself because they're sick of it. But that's their choice and not something you should feel guilty about.

Based on all the conversations that have been had I think you've inquired enough information to make executive decisions. Someone has to lead. I know it's like herding cats but if we don't have one person (or two) in charge we'll all head off in our own direction. Everyone in this community respects you as a leader, so trust yourself to make fair decisions. I know you want everyone to be happy shiny unicorns but it's just not gonna happen. The best thing you can do is make the decision and tell everyone they can either get in line or they can get out.

Last edited by Rider4Z on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:44 pm

JOE IS LIFE. JOE IS LOVE.
This has no relevence to the discussion above it

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:48 pm

jingoro wrote:
MaboroshiStudio wrote:I want to find the pre .org AWA threads now haha
I'm not aware of any. Maybe on the ancient AWA-run boards of the distant past? They're all digital dust now.
NOPE! The old Anime Music Video Mailing List still is on yahoo...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amv/info
Last edited by MaboroshiStudio on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
jingoro wrote:Masters was started because Joe said he was too good and wouldn't enter Expo anymore. ;)

I never entered AWA until the year pro started I think. I also loved pro being blind peer review... it was the only way I would have a shot since so many people hated my arrogant ass back then. Also since so many people disliked me back then it was the ultimate victory having people who hated me see me win 5 out of 11 pro awards that year knowing they voted for me... hahah man I was a prick

You could say this would be posted about me back in the day
Last edited by MaboroshiStudio on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:51 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote:
jingoro wrote:
MaboroshiStudio wrote:I want to find the pre .org AWA threads now haha
I'm not aware of any. Maybe on the ancient AWA-run boards of the distant past? They're all digital dust now.
NOPE! The old Anime Music Video Mailing List still is on yahoo...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amv/info
It's like going to back to the past where Kevin Caldwell exists!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:

I never entered AWA until the year pro started I think. I also loved pro being blind peer review... it was the only way I would have a shot since so many people hated my arrogant ass back then. Also since so many people disliked me back then it was the ultimate victory having people who hated me see me win 5 out of 11 pro awards that year... hahah man I was a prick

You could say this would be posted about me back in the day
Quoted Image converted to link:
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/62705814.jpg
IT'S JOE'S VIDEO! EVERYBODY VOTE IT DOWN!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
It's like going to back to the past where Kevin Caldwell exists!
This has no relevence to the discussion above it

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Now that I've written my memoirs, can I retire?

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:37 pm

You did that once and it didn't stick. ;p You know you can't stay away.

As for all the discussion I really don't feel strongly about it one way or another. I've entered Pro pretty much since I started making videos. My first year at AWA was the first year of Pro. I've had a long(ish) AMV career and Pro is one of only 2 contests I've ever won an award in so it holds a special place in my heart.
Now whether that is because I only ever really enter Pro and nothing else is up for debate. For several years now I've made 1 or 2 videos a year. Always for Pro. I may be a slacker all year long and sit on ideas but damn if I won't slap something together for pro. I know there are a ton of other conventions but I can count the number I've submitted videos to on one hand. Pro is really the only reason I kept editing so long.

If you have a contest at AWA vaguely resembling Pro I'll submit something. I like seeing all the other videos that got submitted. I like voting on them even if I'm voting for myself. Whatever else has to happen to keep that alive I'll find some way to be happy with.

Return to “AMV Contests”