Final Cut Pro quirk, very frustrating.

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
mutantfish01
Org Profile

Final Cut Pro quirk, very frustrating.

Post by mutantfish01 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi, I edit with Final Cut Pro 6, and as of lately it's been behaving rather quirky. I've got this timeline set up with several clips on it, a few transitions between them, and all of them are rendered. Yet, when I preview the timeline, I'll see these short, 1 frame blinks of the frame just before I made the cut on each clip, and that will blink at the start of every new clip as it plays through. At first I thought this was an issue with handles, but as I scrub through every frame, I find that the blinking frames aren't present, they only show up as this strange glitch during previews. Oh, in addition, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the exported video either, it's just a huge bother during the editing and previewing process.

So... a summary.
Problem: During preview playback, each clip first blinks the previous frame that isn't on the timeline. Both scrubbing and exporting do not have this issue.

Predicted Cause: I added the first clip to the timeline and had the settings converted to that clip so that it doesn't require rendering unless effects and transitions are applied.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this as well, and if so, what playback settings might be applied to fix it?
Thank you for your time^^

sallen3k
Org Profile

Re: Final Cut Pro quirk, very frustrating.

Post by sallen3k » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I wish I could help you. I've used Final Cut for 5 years and have never experienced that problem.

When you figure it out, post about it. I'm curious what could be causing that.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Re: Final Cut Pro quirk, very frustrating.

Post by NeoQuixotic » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 am

So you had Final Cut conform your sequence to your clip. My question is what codec are your clips in? If it is a inter frame based codec it might be causing the problem. I've gone to always using ProRes 422 as my sequence codec. ProRes is not lossless, but it is pretty darn close. It also renders pretty fast, at least on a Mac Pro it does :P.
Insert clever text/image here.

Return to “Mac Software”