VCA Unique Category

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: VCA Unique Category

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Pwolf wrote:How about something that recognizes a member of the community who has contributed to making the community as a whole better (in one way or another)? I'm not really talking about "most helpful" here as there are plenty of people out there who may or may not necessarily have a huge presence in the forum but work towards giving the community more then just what's there. These people create events such as contests within the community, promote thoughtful discussions, create scripts, tools, programs to make what we do just alittle bit easier... Just as an example, the people I would be thinking of would be:

Godix - Keeping us real and giving us something to discuss from to time.
Brad - Online IC even though he's a lazy bastard
Code - ProjectOrg Editor, various discussion threads, and his recent Lip Flapper
Zarxrax - His work on ZarxGUI

Just to name a few.
I would be slightly opposed to this, because it still just puts the focus on the things that people see. Lots of people are doing work in the background that they never really get recognition for, and a category like this would still be heavily slanted in the favor of people who are doing stuff that is heavily visible to the community at large.

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm

about the debate, how about a "ambassador" award, like rewarding a member who's making/helping/improving communication among communities?

cause if unactive members in the org but elsewhere ( let's pick chambeyc as a example) get the most votes for the most helpful member, wouldn't that be considered "friendly voting" as well ?

to sum up, if we have a award for a helpful member of the org and a helpful member in another communities, then we'll have a compromise.

it's completely understandable to make recognition for north americans, but let's not forget that working altogether as communities just improves the AMV-Making broadcast.

just my 2 cents.

:bear:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I would be slightly opposed to this, because it still just puts the focus on the things that people see. Lots of people are doing work in the background that they never really get recognition for, and a category like this would still be heavily slanted in the favor of people who are doing stuff that is heavily visible to the community at large.
I agree but that sort of is the point. If someone is doing work in the background, does anyone even know anything is changing or getting better. The perspective of most of the members will still be that nothing has changed. If someone's work is generating a visible contribution to the community, then I think they deserve some recognition over someone who is keeping their work secretive. I guess, at least in the terms of the site admins, it would be nice if there was a bit more transparency. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your saying though, can you give me an example of someone like this?

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

MimS wrote:Hm, I think I should -really- stop there and go back to the thread first goal :)
Pwolf wrote:right, lets just get back on topic.
Some unique category suggestions:

Best Video with a Message
--stole this from the MTV awards =o

Best-vid-that-made-you-want-to-watch/rewatch-the-anime
--because I think giving a series exposure is something a lot of people try to accomplish with their videos, and it's an important aspect of the hobby. Better title ideas, anyone?

Best Long Video
--obvious reaction to last year. =P Should only award *continuous* long videos--not videos that are actually two small vids stuck together, or a series of short vids or tracks.

Best Use of Lyrics
--goes with Best use of Instrumental Music

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm

if there really are quite a few of these "background" helpers (at least enough to not have the award pwolf suggested) then how about we have something to recognize these people and what they do, bring them more into the light and thank em for what they might be doing?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Pwolf wrote:I agree but that sort of is the point. If someone is doing work in the background, does anyone even know anything is changing or getting better. The perspective of most of the members will still be that nothing has changed. If someone's work is generating a visible contribution to the community, then I think they deserve some recognition over someone who is keeping their work secretive. I guess, at least in the terms of the site admins, it would be nice if there was a bit more transparency. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your saying though, can you give me an example of someone like this?
Well for instance, when I read the info regarding the VCA's this year, it looks to me like there have been some changes from previous years, with regards to eligibility and such. I'm guessing maybe there have been some coding changes on the site to accommodate this. But maybe these changes were in place last year, I'm not really sure. Who made the changes? My best guess would be dokidoki, but I really don't know.
And then there are the moderators who keep the site running smoothly. Their work mostly happens in secret, so I really don't even know how involved that is.
And then there are people who may be doing work for the advancement of AMVs outside of the org, but it still affects us. For instance, all of the stuff Vlad does for conventions around the world :p Or as another example, the work which Quu did in regards to testing audio sync has directly led to changes in the progress of Zarx264gui.
I just think there are a lot of people out there who deserve some recognition, the unsung heroes of the org :bear:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I just think there are a lot of people out there who deserve some recognition, the unsung heroes of the org :bear:
The MissingNo Award! |:>

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:I just think there are a lot of people out there who deserve some recognition, the unsung heroes of the org :bear:
The MissingNo Award! |:>
like :up:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 pm

I very much agree also, which is why I suggested the award. I think these people need to speak up though. As I mentioned before, as far as I know nothing is being done by the administration/mods to make this place any better (in some cases, they are making it worse but that's another topic). If they are doing things in the background, i think it's in the communities best interest to know whats going on. This was one of the reason for getting the whole site redesign threads going last year. Even if nothing is being done (and nothing is being done at the moment) at least we all had something to discuss and there's some sort of direction.
Zarxrax wrote:And then there are people who may be doing work for the advancement of AMVs outside of the org, but it still affects us.
Honestly, while I appreciate the work other people are doing for AMVs in general, the org is my main concern here. I wouldn't be opposed to having an award for best contest coordinator or something along those lines that recognizes those kinds of people. But if no one is doing anything to help this community it's just going to continue to decline like it has and there wont be any VCAs or anything anymore. I'm just trying to find ways to get people involved. People like to win shit so I thought it would be a good idea to entice people into doing more rather than just bitching and moaning about how the org is dying.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Kain-x-spirits wrote:
outlawed wrote:the other online AMV communities seem to really want to win some of these VCAs.
huh ? :rofl:
Then you guys must be pretty liberal with your axes. :ying:

Return to “2012 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”