The Only Way to Import from DVD is to Encode the VOBs First?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:24 am

Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:"What do you recommend I rip the VOBs from the DVDs with?
I know you have your problems with it, but dvd decryptor is pretty much the only one I've used and the only one I'd recommend.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:DVD Decryptor is just weird and it feels like a bogus job after it rips.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean to say that the program feels like it's degrading the quality of your footage somewhat, I can assure you, it's not.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Plus, I can;t find a way to not rip ENTIRE VOB files using that.
That's because it can't. Sorry.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Might as well just copy and paste from the DVDs in that case. :/
Yeah. You can go ahead and try that but don't be surprised if the footage is copyrighted and therefore can't be viewed correctly. The reason we often need to use programs like dvd decryptor in the first place is because it removes the copyright protections on most dvd's.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Nothing seems solid from what I;ve tried... which basically was just these two but still... (They seem to be most common)"
I know this all seems like a pain in the ass the first few times you do it. But the process isn't all too hard once you get to used to it.

Typhoon859
Org Profile

Post by Typhoon859 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:34 am

sayde wrote:
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:"What do you recommend I rip the VOBs from the DVDs with?
I know you have your problems with it, but dvd decryptor is pretty much the only one I've used and the only one I'd recommend.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:DVD Decryptor is just weird and it feels like a bogus job after it rips.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean to say that the program feels like it's degrading the quality of your footage somewhat, I can assure you, it's not.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Plus, I can;t find a way to not rip ENTIRE VOB files using that.
That's because it can't. Sorry.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Might as well just copy and paste from the DVDs in that case. :/
Yeah. You can go ahead and try that but don't be surprised if the footage is copyrighted and therefore can't be viewed correctly. The reason we often need to use programs like dvd decryptor in the first place is because it removes the copyright protections on most dvd's.
Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Nothing seems solid from what I;ve tried... which basically was just these two but still... (They seem to be most common)"
I know this all seems like a pain in the ass the first few times you do it. But the process isn't all too hard once you get to used to it.
It's not that it's hard. That program just feels like bogus - don't know why. Anyway, DVDFab rips by chapters. So, it is possible to rip without just copying the entire VOB files. The problem is, it leaves frames with it's Name and some other crap in it and it bothers me. Like.. how do encoders get the episodes separate and put together where the episode is cut in the middle with a second VOB file? The VObs aren't separated that way (by episode I mean).

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:39 am

if you would like to save on file space use a lossless codec (huffyuv or lagarith, unless they have issues with your premiere) and remove the audio as well.

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:42 am

Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote:Like.. how do encoders get the episodes separate and put together where the episode is cut in the middle with a second VOB file? The VObs aren't separated that way (by episode I mean).
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume most people simply use DGIndex to load all vob's into one project file (thus merging them together back into one entire episode/movie), which can then be converted via avisynth and virtual dub.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:47 am

They can do that or if they have the plug in for premiere they just load the avisynth scripts directly into their program.

Typhoon859
Org Profile

Post by Typhoon859 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 am

I'm sorry guys. Thanks for your help. But I've never felt like a bigger dumbass in my life as I do now. Why don;t I know anybody that knows these things besides people on the internet? I think I need somebody to physically show me examples and teach me right on my computer. I don't think I can learn this by myself. I'm a quich visual learner. I understand EVERYTHING just by seeing it - no explanation necessary. Yet, I understand nothing explained.

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 am

Typhoon859@GMail.com wrote: I'm a quich visual learner. I understand EVERYTHING just by seeing it - no explanation necessary. Yet, I understand nothing explained.
Don't feel ashamed. You wouldn't be the only one. Well it's 4am where I'm at. I'll answer anymore potential questions later on today.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:00 am

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... th_dvd.pdf

Older guide, but still worth reading. Shows everything step-by-step and is fairly straightforward. Once you're comfortable with doing things that way, you can easily tweak the steps here and there to suit what you're doing at the time (for instance, I leave out the "encode to a high-bitrate divx file" step and just load the AVS file directly into VDub and pull clips to Huffy encoded files).

Typhoon859
Org Profile

Post by Typhoon859 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:10 am

Fire_Starter1982 wrote:http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... th_dvd.pdf

Older guide, but still worth reading. Shows everything step-by-step and is fairly straightforward. Once you're comfortable with doing things that way, you can easily tweak the steps here and there to suit what you're doing at the time (for instance, I leave out the "encode to a high-bitrate divx file" step and just load the AVS file directly into VDub and pull clips to Huffy encoded files).
Just very simply tell me this. Why does this seem so unnecessary? Why is it not as simple as selecting your start and end point, exporting that, then putting it into Premiere or w/e. 20 hours to get like a minute of footage into a program, ridiculous. This is all just a little nuts..

I just made an entire AMV with no problems by demuxing the video from the MKV files I have using VirtualDubMod and I even got to select my start and end points. Now, right at the very end, I needed two punches from the DVD I have and I'm hit with all of this. So unnecessarily complicated, man...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:28 pm

It's like a 3 step fucking process - you select the VOBs from the list to rip, you index them to a single file, then you call that file in an avs script to filter/save (or clip if you want). And after you do it once and have the basic scripts all in a folder somewhere you can just copy and paste them for every damned DVD you're going to rip.

Clipping is the thing that takes time - this is the easy part.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”