Vegas / Veas Movie Studio Codecs

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:03 pm

moonie211 wrote:
Tsukasa-chan01 wrote:No, don't have that one. But will that allow me to use the video in vegas?

The thing I am trying to do here is to get video into vegas without having to convert or re-render it or anything like that. I want to just be able to drag and drop it. Everything else creates too many potentials for quality loss / being too big for my harddrive etc.
Yeah, it will allow you to use your video in vegas but you still will have to re-encode it with another codec. I suggested that because you said you were trying to avoid the large files that huffy make.
No matter what you do you will have to re-encode the footage you have now because like i said before divx and xvid don't work well in editing programs
Actually, there is one possibility that avoids recompressing: serving the files with AVISynth (which is covered in that article I linked to). I know people have gotten AVISynth scripts to work in Vegas; I think there's even a sticky thread devoted to the topic.

Of course, it doesn't come for free: the disadvantage is that this method will slow down your editing, because it takes longer to access a frame through an AVISynth script than it does to pull that same frame straight from the video file it's in.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:11 pm

please, just give up now [on using divx/xvid].
editing [rather...trying to edit] with divx xvid footage causes more problems than it's worth.

a [non-exhaustive] list of bad things that happen when you try to edit with divx/xvid footage:

1: frame inaccuracy, there is no guarantee that your sync will be preserved after export.
2: deploarable quality, if you try to compress footage that has already been compressed with a lossy codec, the outcome will be almost inhuman
3:divx/xvid footage tends not to work in Non-Linear Editing programs, and if for some reason they do work, they have a habbit of not working (this problem appears almost randomly)

Tsukasa-chan01
Org Profile

Post by Tsukasa-chan01 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:47 pm

allright, I give up '-_-

Man.. this sucks... now can someone please help me with what the right setting in riverpast are so I don't get the black portions?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Tsukasa-chan01 wrote:allright, I give up '-_-

Man.. this sucks... now can someone please help me with what the right setting in riverpast are so I don't get the black portions?

Never give up! Read my pm instead xD

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Vegas / Veas Movie Studio Codecs

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Kariudo wrote:
moonie211 wrote:You must be using epiodes encoded in divx or xvid
Most editing programs don't do well with those.
Even if you make every frame a key frame (i tried that before)
you will still have problems.

Its best to convert your clips to codecs like Huffyuv
DON'T USE DIVX/XVID FILES FOR EDITING
make clips using virtualdub(/mod) and save them with a lossless codec like Huffyuv. Lagarith is even better (but has been known to not work from time to time
Really? Lagarith is better? I thought HuffYUV was...

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Vegas / Veas Movie Studio Codecs

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:53 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Kariudo wrote:
moonie211 wrote:You must be using epiodes encoded in divx or xvid
Most editing programs don't do well with those.
Even if you make every frame a key frame (i tried that before)
you will still have problems.

Its best to convert your clips to codecs like Huffyuv
DON'T USE DIVX/XVID FILES FOR EDITING
make clips using virtualdub(/mod) and save them with a lossless codec like Huffyuv. Lagarith is even better (but has been known to not work from time to time
Really? Lagarith is better? I thought HuffYUV was...

I find Lagarith agress with Vegas more than Huffy. Especially when you disable the audio on the clips you make. Then it's (at least for me) as smooth a silk

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:34 am

Lagarith can produce files that are smaller than what Huffyuv can output. This can add up to a decent savings on your hard drive space for a big project.

BUT, different programs seem to like either one or the other somewhat better. In Magix MEP10/11, I get some corrupted frames if I use Lagarith to encode my clips. And the corrupted frames are different using the same software on a different computer. For the posts I've read here, Vegas seems to like Lagarith better, but Premiere seems to prefer Huffyuv.

I'm currently using ffdshow's Huffyuv YV12 mode for encoding clips to 1) get the performance of Huffyuv closer to Lagarith filesize-wise, and 2) minimize any colorspace conversions in the editing chain (eventhough YV12 > YUY2 is pretty minor). Yeah, Huffyuv RGB would also be fine to minimize colorspace conversions (since the editing programs do internal RGB conversion for YV12 stuff anyways) but them files are big...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”