What is the BEST video editer out there?

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Lieg
Org Profile

What is the BEST video editer out there?

Post by Lieg » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:31 pm

I have been planning on makeing my first amv and i finnally have the song and dvd(s). I do not wish to use the windows movie maker. I do not want one you can download for free. I do not want a lame cheap one. I want a GOOD one. I do have a budget though so keep under a $100 if you can.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Many people will say that the free programs are just as good as the upper-end programs.

but there does tend to a be correlation between price and quality.
on your budget, you could get Ulead video studio, Vegas movie studio, Magix movie edit pro, or premiere elements

download trial versions to find out which one is right for you

*this is not all the programs in your budget, just the ones most used by editors on this site*
and you should still take time to check out the free/open source software thread on the top of this section

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm

From Bauzi:

... puh... 100$ is a hard limit, because:
I think the best editors in this price class are Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, but I think the price goes up to around 150$ (and more!) for each programm, but this two are really good editors!
I think you should try first trial versions of this programms before you decide wich you will buy. This is imo the best way...
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:27 pm

Bauzi-and-MAC wrote:I think the best editors in this price class are Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, but I think the price goes up to around 150$ (and more!) for each program...
Try $700 (retail).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:32 pm

you could try this
http://www.puremotion.com/editstudio/index.htm
that would be under $100 unless you get the pro version at $150
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Jayn_Newell
Org Profile

Post by Jayn_Newell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Bauzi-and-MAC wrote:I think the best editors in this price class are Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, but I think the price goes up to around 150$ (and more!) for each program...
Try $700 (retail).
He's probably thinking of the cheap versions, Vegas Movie Studio and Premiere Elements, which go for about $100-$150 each.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Don't be afraid to start with Windows Movie Maker...you can do some pretty neat things with it, especially in combination with two other free programs called Avisynth and VirtualDubMod, if you're willing to practice and learn a little scripting.

If not...try Magix Movie Edit Pro. I haven't actually used it, but I've checked it out before and it seems like you can do quite a bit with it. It's pretty cheap, too. Like, under $50 cheap.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:55 pm

I've heard some good things about Magix, and from the sound of some editors it's better than premiere. Ask Kai Stromler about it. There's the AE/premiere combination, but that'll set you back far more than you want to spend legally.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

AngelOfTheDark
Org Profile

Post by AngelOfTheDark » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 am

I'm interested in a new movie editor, too, but I have some specific requirements. I'm looking for something with at least one video overlay option (preferably more, and if I could control the shape of the overlay, that'd be great too), and preferably at least one audio overlay option (though, that's not a huge deal). I'd like decent effects (I don't use many effects, but when I do use them, I like them to be good ones), and preferably something that doesn't crash easily (my computer seems to be pretty powerful, though. I tried a trial version of Ulead Video Studio and it only crash a couple times near the end of the 5 minute video. But WMM crashes almost constantly.)

My price range is a little higher, though. $150 would be nice. I'd prefer not to go over $200, and I think my true limit would be around $250.

If anything has a free trial option, that would be wonderful, too. I'd really prefer to give a program a test drive to see if it will meet my needs before I go spending that much money on it. (That's about 2 textbooks I'm sacrificing right there. ^_^;;)

Thank you so much in advance for any advice!
"They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true." (Potion shop's old woman- LoZ OoT)

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 am

Magix will cut it. It has a number of tracks for both audio and video. It does effects, provided you're willing to work at it a little bit (there's no point-and-drool-instant-shiny button, but effects are perfectly doable). The pricetag is quite reasonable, being under $100.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”