DON'T READ UNLESS UR A CODEC/VEGAS/AMVAPP GENIUS!!!

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
uchihaclan13
Org Profile

DON'T READ UNLESS UR A CODEC/VEGAS/AMVAPP GENIUS!!!

Post by uchihaclan13 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Ok, this might be the longest post I might ever type up in here. You're need to be a brainiac to understand my words. Otherwise, it's a waste of time! XD

I need help configuring my current codec situation. (Please read first!)

(This is on Sony Vegas compatibility)If some other Sony Vegas users asked about why some episodes wouldn't work with their codec's (ie: The whole series of Naruto and the different fansubs it had during the past years) I found a way to watch anime and make AMVs with a combination of CCCP and the audio codecs, avisyths, and the Xvid codecs of Tsunami filter pack.

All I had to do was disable the reclock audio filter, (optional, but you can leave it on if you want...) and enable the Xvid MPEG-3 Playback filter. I disabled all other video codecs and left everything else in the default settings. (Disabled it's FFDS too.)

As for CCCP, I installed everything. Nothing else to say.

I also installed the latest Xvid codec from Koepi. Plus practically every Divx codec I could find. (4 and 5 I think.)

If you install all of those, hopefully you won't get those annoying messages everytime you try to looke at the audio or video bar of an AVI.

(Encoding AVIs HELP) NOW, I still need to figure out WHY ALL XVID CODECS DON'T GET ALONG!!! X_X*

For some reason when I installed AMVApp, and installed it's Xvid codec, I didn't see any "Xvid MPEG-3 Layer Codec" option in the compression list!

Whenever I uninstall all my Xvid codecs, and then reinstall ONLY the AMVApp Xvid (or add any of Tsunami filter's Xvids with it,) It will have that compression option. But, then I lose my ability to see files in Vegas.

It seems that whenever I use that "Sony Vegas-friendly Xvid combination (installing recent Xvid + enabling Xvid MPEG-3 Playback Filter in Tsunami...) It makes that Xvid option in VDubMod disappear...

CAN SOMEONE SOLVE MY PROBLEM?! IS THERE ANOTHER CODEC I SHOULD USE OR WAIT FOR?! AM I ASKING THIS IN THE WRONG SITE?! Maybe I should stay rendering on WMV, lol ^^***

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:17 pm

are all those codec(s)/pack really needed to get xvid footage to work in Vegas?

you may be running into multiple codecs trying to decode the same thing (doesn't work out so well). after reading this DJ_Izumi makes a good point. FFDshow pretty much has everything in the tsunami codec pack. (that or the codec(s) are/should be on your computer from installing Windows)

codec packs are [generally] not a good idea (with a few exceptions)

suggestion 1: get rid of tsunami codec pack...see if that works.
suggestion 2: don't use xvid footage in vegas (re-encode clips with huffyuv or lagarith in vdub(/mod)

really, there is a reason why 99.9% of people who know what they're talking about say not to use divx/xvid (and your problem is one of them)

uchihaclan13
Org Profile

Post by uchihaclan13 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Kariudo wrote:are all those codec(s)/pack really needed to get xvid footage to work in Vegas?

you may be running into multiple codecs trying to decode the same thing (doesn't work out so well). after reading this DJ_Izumi makes a good point. FFDshow pretty much has everything in the tsunami codec pack. (that or the codec(s) are/should be on your computer from installing Windows)

codec packs are [generally] not a good idea (with a few exceptions)

suggestion 1: get rid of tsunami codec pack...see if that works.
suggestion 2: don't use xvid footage in vegas (re-encode clips with huffyuv or lagarith in vdub(/mod)

really, there is a reason why 99.9% of people who know what they're talking about say not to use divx/xvid (and your problem is one of them)
I would find other codecs, but tsunami supplys me with my Avisynth filters for vegas and my audio codecs. And CCCP Supplies me with everything else mainly my video, MKV, and OGG codecs.

If I get rid of Tsunami, then I don't have audio or any Xvid, and practically everything in anime is in Xvid nowadays. If I were to constantly go back and forth rencoding to lagr, of huffy (the clips I want) and they aren't the the right clips after all, well, then....*pulls hair, collapse* X_X******

(plus I don't just make AMVs with these codecs, I watch anime with them. AVI, MKV, OGG, all.)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:53 pm

FFDshow can be set to decode Xvid/divx footage and audio
FFDshow can also decode mkv and ogg streams (as well as mp4 and AAC...since you got it with CCCP)

you could always get just the Xvid codec

if you really can't live without the tsunami codec pack, you should make sure that FFDshow doesn't try to decode anything that you have another codec for.

another reason why you shouldn't use xvid footage to edit is because it is not frame-accurate. this can really mess up your sync.

and yes. I end up not using a lot of the clips I make in vdubmod...but they are painless to make. (and I've had to look through all 50 episodes of my source multiple times...which gets tiring, but they you know where you should look for clips that you want)
if you get down to it, you are doing the same thing in vegas. looking through footage to find the right clips...so doing it in vdubmod shouldn't be any more painful than doing it in vegas

uchihaclan13
Org Profile

Post by uchihaclan13 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:59 pm

Kariudo wrote:FFDshow can be set to decode Xvid/divx footage and audio
FFDshow can also decode mkv and ogg streams (as well as mp4 and AAC...since you got it with CCCP)

you could always get just the Xvid codec

if you really can't live without the tsunami codec pack, you should make sure that FFDshow doesn't try to decode anything that you have another codec for.

another reason why you shouldn't use xvid footage to edit is because it is not frame-accurate. this can really mess up your sync.

and yes. I end up not using a lot of the clips I make in vdubmod...but they are painless to make. (and I've had to look through all 50 episodes of my source multiple times...which gets tiring, but they you know where you should look for clips that you want)
if you get down to it, you are doing the same thing in vegas. looking through footage to find the right clips...so doing it in vdubmod shouldn't be any more painful than doing it in vegas
Ok u got me on the VDub Mod part, but what about how many Xivd codecs? I used 2 Xvid codecs for Vegas/ watching anime, and one+ for encoding.

And also I'm not too audio smart in FFDS's audio codec area, I just chose the default settings in tsunamt, and it was ok.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 am

that's probably where you're running into problems, multiple versions of the xvid codec.
one should be enough.

I'm not talking about the FFDshow audio settings. it should appear as just "FFDshow"

that should bring up the video decoder configuration.
look at the format, if it's something you already have (like xvid) you should click the corresponding decoder column. this should make a drop-down box appear, set it to either xvid (in the case of the xvid setting)or disabled.

I believe I was yelled at for suggesting that someone should change the decoder settings...but I don't know/remember if a reason was given for it

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:37 am

I recommend converting footage into Huffyuv or Lagarith clips.

But, if you really must use XviD/DivX video as your footage without converting it first, to load XviD video into Vegas it must be decoded as DivX.

Install only XviD (for encoding), DivX (for decoding) and CCCP (for everything else). Make sure that you disable XviD's FourCC support for decoding DIVX (you can leave DX50 and MP4V checked if you want). Now to get DivX to decode the XviD video you need to change the file's FourCC from XVID to DIVX. To change the FourCC you use Nic's FourCC Changer which should be located in your Start menu under XviD. Select the file you want to modify, change both fields to DIVX and click Apply.

Steps originally from here.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:04 am

DO NOT EDIT WITH DIVX/XVID
ya, lagarith :/
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:41 am

Minion wrote:DO NOT EDIT WITH DIVX/XVID
ya, lagarith :/
Huffyuv. |:
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 am

>:[
lagarith!
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”