Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:59 am

never said i wasn't >.>

Pwolf

Quiet Cannon
Org Profile

Post by Quiet Cannon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:57 am

Scintilla wrote:Here's my little bit of blanketed advice on how to gain popularity for oneself and one's videos:

<b>SUBMIT TO CONVENTIONS</b>

That is all.
Hasn't worked for me yet. I've submitted some of my videos to cons and noticed no increase in the number of hits or downloads I've been getting. Is that to suggest that my videos are bad? I guess that's up to the viewer to decide, but so far, the feedback I've gotten has been positive.

Anyway, I might just be feeling a bit of rage from the nominations. I really thought I had a video that might have been good enough to at least make the first cut in the trailer category. I really don't care about winning, but I would like for some people to be aware that I exist.

Also adding to that rage was that a lot of popular videos I didn't really like (or in some cases absolutely hated) ended up with several nominations. But that's just my opinion.
Final Doom "Amazing things will happen here soon."

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Substance "Everyone knows that it's a dangerous substance."

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:24 am

silver_moon wrote:I'll put it this way... usually if a creator's well-known, it's for a good reason.
that's not always quite true... It really depends on a lot of factors...

Popularity can be from a number of reasons from which can include past popularity, for having consistantly good videos, catering to the fans, all the way to the one video that just happends to become very popular. It could even be a mixture of all the above.. Personality can have a fator in it as well

Vlad

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:13 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
silver_moon wrote:I'll put it this way... usually if a creator's well-known, it's for a good reason.
that's not always quite true... It really depends on a lot of factors...

Popularity can be from a number of reasons from which can include past popularity, for having consistantly good videos, catering to the fans, all the way to the one video that just happends to become very popular. It could even be a mixture of all the above.. Personality can have a fator in it as well

Vlad
Being well known doesn't hurt, though. Aluminum is nominated for creator of the year this year, and he hasn't done much these days. I am sure if Kevin Caldwell was available for voting for, he would get votes. :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:15 am

Scintilla wrote:Here's my little bit of blanketed advice on how to gain popularity for oneself and one's videos:
That is all.
Why I find this extremely funny (and correct) is that my only AMV that passed to semi-finals is the only AMV that competed outside Finland.. and only once. It wasn't even mentioned during the VCA-pimpings.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Quiet Cannon wrote:Hasn't worked for me yet. I've submitted some of my videos to cons and noticed no increase in the number of hits or downloads I've been getting.
If I saw this yesterday I would agree with you. Today I notice the one video I have that won at a convention got nominated in a catagory. I have videos with twice as many hits, more downloads, and if it was mentioned in the VCA forum then I totally missed it. I can only guess it got voted for because it was seen at a con and, perhaps, because it's a catagory that doesn't have an absolutely ungodly number of qualified videos like Drama or Action do. So I guess I gotta go with Scintilla on this one, submit to cons. Even if it doesn't immediately appear to make a difference it apparently does help.

MomochiZabuza
Org Profile

Post by MomochiZabuza » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:51 pm

i have no cons to submit them to...

actually thats not true the only 1 that i could enter for i missed the deadline because i didnt have any blank CDs...and virtual dub mod was being stupid
Yes I am God

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=67903
... apparently it's awesome

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:52 am

Quiet Cannon wrote:

That is all.
Hasn't worked for me yet. I've submitted some of my videos to cons and noticed no increase in the number of hits or downloads I've been getting. Is that to suggest that my videos are bad? I guess that's up to the viewer to decide, but so far, the feedback I've gotten has been positive.

Anyway, I might just be feeling a bit of rage from the nominations. I really thought I had a video that might have been good enough to at least make the first cut in the trailer category. I really don't care about winning, but I would like for some people to be aware that I exist.

Also adding to that rage was that a lot of popular videos I didn't really like (or in some cases absolutely hated) ended up with several nominations. But that's just my opinion.
well I submitted my one video to AWA back in 03 and I got my first review to it soon after and a billion stars! I didn't even make it THAT good! ;p I hardly advertised it even basically went comotose shortly after so.... that's sound advise! -_- of coarse, it didn't hurt that it was helped along by the Golden Carrot/ Donut.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:38 pm

That is all.
Which conventions in particular? And is this a way to get known, or a way to get *better* known?

I've never submittted to a convention*, so I'm skeptical as to how that is supposed to make a person well known. The few times I've seen a 'lesser known' editor winning at a convention, he's still as 'lesser known' afterward as he was before he sent his vid in. His hits, stars, reviews don't change a bit.

To me, it seems videos that are good enough (generally liked by all) to be loved on the org will win at conventions as well. So the popularity does increase after the convention, but it was already there before they submitted it. All the convention did was get a few extra people stopping by (to download a copy), and bragging rights for the creator.

I haven't seen anyone on the forum praising an unknown winner at a convention to the point where that person changes from 'nobody' to somebody.

[*You can't count yaoi-con since they never make the amv winners public on their website (no way for an attendee to find the video outside the conention).]

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”