This year is weak.

zmanjz
Org Profile

This year is weak.

Post by zmanjz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:05 pm

You know, I'm kind of disappointed by this year's nominees.

I know that the Dance (Techno, trance, DDR type music) is popular, but it takes an exceptional video for me to like something from that genre. This year, there's dance in practically every category. (and an overabundance in the action category... What happened to hard rock? I know that the AMV community tends toward alt, but as a general rule I Hate dance/trance/techno.)

I noticed someone using paint it black, and that's allright, but not really great.

I mean when every other sound is a heavy beat, it's not too hard to get at least come action sync... How about the challenge of a Hard Rock beat? anyone up to it for next year?

Last year, there were an abundance of excellent videos that combined advanced technique, with a high level of enjoyability.

This year I find that the level of technique and skill in editing (Both sync and digital effects) have improved greatly, but none of the AMVs nominated for Character, or Action have connected with me.

And as I'm working my way through the vids in the other categories, I see that it seems to be the same videos over and over.

(Maybe there will be something good in the dramatic videos, but I see that there's alot of crossover between Character profiles, so as I grind my way through the 2nd round nominees, I'm finding myself more disappointed)

I mean there are AMVs that blew my mind the first time I saw them.

Shellshock (rubyeye)
Who's Robo (The Gline)
Stop the Rock (Nappy)
Odorikuruu (aokakesu) One of the few truly great dance AMVs)
The long lost "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: Metallica Unforgiven" AMV
and others over the years...

But this year, so far nothing's jumped out and said "Yes, this is an awesome video." They've been saying: Yeah I've got skill, and I can splice with the best of them"

But where's the heart?

It's like this year's submissions are a discertation in "High level technical editing skills"

It's like Comparing Star Wars Galaxies to KOTOR. Galaxies is by far a superior technical achievement, but there is no story. there is no heart.

KOTOR won nearly every game of the year award last year because it combined solid skills with an amazing story that was truly engrossing.

I hope that as I continue through the 2nd Round AMVs that I find something that I can feel. (I haven't gotten tho Comedy yet either, so my hopes are high, but so far Action and Character are definitely weak this year. )

(Maybe people made nominations weighed more on technical skill? )

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:11 pm

I'll say the same thing I said to someone once before:

Are you following the same AMV scene I am?

It's either an issue of subjectivity, or an issue of under-informedness.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

zmanjz
Org Profile

Post by zmanjz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:18 pm

I'm grinding through all of the nominees, I've gotten through all of the Character profile, and all of the action (which are cross listed in a large number of the others)

And I'm just not feeling them.

It probably is an issue of subjectivity, but from my POV at least, this year is disappointing (at least from those that have made it to second round VCA)

I'm not done checking them yet, but I haven't seen a single one yet that I loved.

(There were about 10 last year)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:23 pm

It probably depends on the point of view and personal taste. I've heard very similar things from others here, and I've heard very similar things last year, too.

I'm pretty happy with this year, myself. Not so much in these categories, but in general, there is some very solid videos that have both conceptual strength and technical adequacy.

Besides... and you can kick me for it if you like... I personally never really 'felt' most of the examples you gave in your first post, either. :)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Bote
Org Profile

Post by Bote » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Otohiko wrote:I personally never really 'felt' most of the examples you gave in your first post, either. :)
Me too.

Hard rock? That's just a genre in music and it doesn't say anywhere that good action videos haveto have rock music. People went further this year and tried out metal and techno. IMO Regular or hard rock is really easy to sync, but try syncing some power or death metal songs and you'll see how tough it is. Most of the creators simply wanted a chalenge (or at least me for that matter :P).

Is this rock enough for you? /shameless
My Youtube channel: Bote Logos
NEW!!! One Piece AMV - "YUM YUM 2.0"
Berserk - Man of Sorrows (upscaled to 4k)
Beowulf@RDS wrote:RECTANGLES AND AFTER EFFECTS WONT SAVE YOU NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:42 pm

I'm working on the hard rock thing...
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

zmanjz
Org Profile

Post by zmanjz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:42 pm

bote wrote:
Otohiko wrote:I personally never really 'felt' most of the examples you gave in your first post, either. :)
Me too.

Hard rock? That's just a genre in music and it doesn't say anywhere that good action videos haveto have rock music. People went further this year and tried out metal and techno. IMO Regular or hard rock is really easy to sync, but try syncing some power or death metal songs and you'll see how tough it is. Most of the creators simply wanted a chalenge (or at least me for that matter :P).

Is this rock enough for you? /shameless
Now from my POV as just a pure action AMV, that one's probably better than at least half of the ones nominated for this year. (Most AMVs I review take a beating on "Re-viewability")

As for challenge, I can understand that this year is big on complexity/effects editing. (My favorite of those nominated in the character catergory is the A Different side of me / Goldenboy AMV. The editing skill with effects was excelent, and I think that editor did a great job of capturing the character, but even still it's re-watchability (a major indicator of how much I like it) was pretty low for me.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Personally, I recommend HurQlez03's (Daniel Hopkins') Faithless for one of the best videos with a story behind it.

I really felt that Mr. Hopkins really did a great job with this video, capturing one of the most central themes behind Neon Genesis Evangelion: that Asuka and Shinji really are the same, "with someone disappointed in [them]", as Linkin Park's Numb relates.

In fact, I have never seen an AMV that has the music so match the source anime before Faithless.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Re: This year is weak.

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:23 am

zmanjz wrote:You know, I'm kind of disappointed by this year's nominees.
Good for you.

...why should we care, again?

If you think this year is weak, have you made a video that will stop the world in its tracks? Hmm? Otherwise, how's about stopping the bitching and starting to solve the "problem" instead?

Or would you rather play armchair quarterback and demand that the whole scene conform to your tastes at the same time?

Yap, yap, yap.

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 am

GloryQuestor wrote:Personally, I recommend HurQlez03's (Daniel Hopkins') Faithless for one of the best videos with a story behind it.

I really felt that Mr. Hopkins really did a great job with this video, capturing one of the most central themes behind Neon Genesis Evangelion: that Asuka and Shinji really are the same, "with someone disappointed in [them]", as Linkin Park's Numb relates.

In fact, I have never seen an AMV that has the music so match the source anime before Faithless.
why does everyone bring that video up. No offense but its not that great of a vid. I mean the guy didn't even come up with the idea. He took an idea that was out there that had so many crap vids done to it and made a dcent vid. did i like it but damn come on its not that great.
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2005”