Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

Sir_Lagsalot
Org Profile

Post by Sir_Lagsalot » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:54 am

I would like to see anyone reproduce giant mosaic scene in my NES Project video with free software
http://lags.leetcode.net/mosaic.html

Done with what ever C++ compiler you prefer (including free ones!).
Do I win a prize?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:36 pm

I'm talking about just ANY simple mosaic... hell... I know theres open source software out there for mosaics. But none of them will create mosaics at the spec that I needed. I had to have it create mosaic with FULL RESOLUTION of each individual image.

Sir_Lagsalot
Org Profile

Post by Sir_Lagsalot » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:47 pm

Well, I don't see why you would need full resolution always, I would just make clips with increasing images/decreasing image resolution and then use a zoom to match them up. But in either case, I can work with images of any resolution.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:29 pm

Alright, then you win a kiss. Pucker up, big boy. :twisted:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:42 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Alright, then you win a kiss. Pucker up, big boy. :twisted:
With your avatar and sig, those are scary words. :?

Shun
Org Profile

Post by Shun » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:05 pm

trythil wrote:
FrostedFlakes wrote:Oh yea and also Media Studio is not the best software in my opinion. Try Adobe Premiere.
Argh.

The editing software you use really doesn't matter...
Im going to have to agree there, videos like always and sufference not done in premiere i believe are MUCH better then a lot of videos that do use premiere. Skill & determenation > Program! :)

narcted
Org Profile

Re: Advanced Special Effects: How do they do them?

Post by narcted » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:58 pm

A.H. wrote:Where do I begin?
MediaStudio doesn’t just have transition effects and video filters that do some of these things:

Koopisveka’s Euphoria:
Overlaying several tracks, cutting them into shapes, and most importantly, getting them to move in a set pattern.

VicBond007’s Bebop 007:
Creating 3-D characters, getting them to move in a set pattern, and overlaying them on the video.

AbsoluteDestiny’s Shameless Rock Video:
Making it seem like a camera is bouncing all around the video, and having 2-4 different clips playing at once, but not overlayed and trasparent. They’re like split screens.

Taskmasta’s Anxiety:
Creating an image with several images on them, making it seem like a camera is moving throughout the pictures, and videos are playing in them at the same time.
I think it you should be able to pull most of those effects using Media Studio Pro. The only things of this list I would say I'm not sure you can do would be the cutting of video into shapes. Also I can't recall Bebop 007 so I'm not sure about 3D characters, but Media Studio 7.0 does have CG Infinity, which has capabilities to create 3D animation. Cool Production Studio would have further capabilities.

Most of you video moving across screen can be done using the moving path. The bouncing camera would be a matter of custom forming you own moving path at the rate and movement you need. Here

A lot of these are also overlay work. I think you can also use mattes to possibly cut them into shapes. Here.

This would also be how you could do the split screens and moving video. The position of an overlay, as well as it's size and motion if you want can be set using moving path. For example, you just take four seperate video clips. Set in them in overlays 1-4. Then create a custom moving path for each one in different corners with no movement. Then shrink the size and width while so they don't overlap. This is the one effect I have done, so I know it works.

I think you're going to have to use Photo Impact in combination with Media Studio if you want to pull something similiar to Anxiety.

I agree though, whatever software you use, you just need to be clever and determined. Whatever the software, you need knowledge of the basics and its capabilities and more advanced uses should follow.

Return to “Video Editing Software”