Out Of Date AMV Creator Needs Advice On Newfangled Tech

dark77778
Org Profile

Out Of Date AMV Creator Needs Advice On Newfangled Tech

Post by dark77778 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 am

Hey all, I'm so out of date as to what the good and the bad is these days when it comes to editing tech and was wondering if you hooligans have got any suggestions for an old fart like me.

Before you ask, yeah I can use Adobe Premiere just fine but UGH!!! it's just so damn cumbersome for AMV making. I compare it to using a black hole to clean my room, when all I need is a vacuum cleaner. So I need something powerful that can get the job done right for the most part.

Other Requirements:
[*]IT NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO AUTO-CREATE CLIPS! I'm super lazy and don't have time to go through every freaking 20 min episode that I put up. I tried using Cyberlink Powerdirector for that recently and it has an "auto clip detection" system that auto-clipped footage once every cut. I don't need 500 clips per episode.
^ Bonus Points If It Can Auto-Organize Those Clips Into Folders.

[*]It needs to have a library or mod community of transition effects. I'm a sucker for those things. I'm not George Lucas, I can't just use wipes all the time.

[*]It needs to be able to read a lot of different file types without me having to do a bunch of downloading of crap to get it to do so. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

[*]BONUS POINTS: If you can show me a quality AMV that you know was made with said tool.
Daisuke (DNAngel) and Yamato are my heros. ALL HAIL WIZ!

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Re: Out Of Date AMV Creator Needs Advice On Newfangled Tech

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Disregard everything you just said. Every point that you just listed (Except the multiple file types) is completely invalid. No software is going to create clips for you, if you want a quality AMV, guess what? You have to go and shuttle through that 24 minute episode. The way you just posted, you're making it sound like you want all of the hard work handed to you. There is ZERO avoidance of everything you listed. You have to do it. It's a pain in the ass, but that's life. Now as for your question on what software to use, premiere works fine. Sony Vegas works fine. I use Sony Vegas, Premiere, and After Effects all together. Vegas to do most of the organization and editing, premiere to ready my clips for after effects, and after effects to do any special fx. You just have to deal with it dude. Sorry. :P

dark77778
Org Profile

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:49 am

It's not a matter of going through one 24 min episode, more of a matter of taking an entire series and breaking it down clip by clip. And yeah, it's a computer, I DO expect it to do the tedious work for me, that way I can do the fun creative stuff that a computer can't do...if not I'd like to have an editing program that will let me modify it so that I can do the hard work to write a function to make it do that stuff for me. Especially when features on certain editing programs already exist like "scene detection" that do that kind of hard work already, but at an even more sophisticated level. It just seems...kinda dumb. It'd be like if I order a stack of pizzas and they came in a box, but none of the slices were cut, except for one pizza that had every individual piece of pepperoni cut into an individual, oddly shaped, slice. You wouldn't tip a pizza place that did that and you probably wouldn't order from them again. Yeah, I looked at Vegas and cringed. It's not for me. I think I'll just stick to what I know with Premiere&After Effects and have a good ol' time. I'll keep looking into ways to streamline the editing process on my own.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 am

Cut detection already exists. Anything more advanced than cut detection, like content analysis, image recognition, or anything more complicated than binning based on something like color averaging is a difficult problem. I'm talking multi-million dollar research grant with a lab full of grad students hard.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

dark77778
Org Profile

Post by dark77778 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Cut detection already exists. Anything more advanced than cut detection, like content analysis, image recognition, or anything more complicated than binning based on something like color averaging is a difficult problem. I'm talking multi-million dollar research grant with a lab full of grad students hard.
I don't even need that. I need "time detection" which all editing software already does (all editing software knows exactly how long any clip is), but nobody seems to have put that in collaboration with "cut detection". I'm not looking for something complicated, it's actually quite simple, which is why it's simply shocking that it doesn't exist yet. Oh well, something to bring to Adobe's product-suggestion attention or something.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 pm

dark77778 wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Cut detection already exists. Anything more advanced than cut detection, like content analysis, image recognition, or anything more complicated than binning based on something like color averaging is a difficult problem. I'm talking multi-million dollar research grant with a lab full of grad students hard.
I don't even need that. I need "time detection" which all editing software already does (all editing software knows exactly how long any clip is), but nobody seems to have put that in collaboration with "cut detection". I'm not looking for something complicated, it's actually quite simple, which is why it's simply shocking that it doesn't exist yet. Oh well, something to bring to Adobe's product-suggestion attention or something.
If you just want to cut files into equal lengths of time, you can do that with a script and avisynth pretty easily. I have no idea how that would be useful, though. It's easier to scrub through footage in premiere, set in and out points and generate sub clips. Even if you have an app clip for you, you still need to look at all of them to decide if you can use them or not, so you don't save any time.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but Phantasmagoriat made this: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 8&t=107850

I haven't tested it and I have no idea how it works, so your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately you seem to just want to do all the fun stuff without doing the necessary work beforehand...it doesn't really work that way :/

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Theres also free scene detector for script for after effects http://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/ but it costs some money.

Some other options:
A: Sit thorough the show normal way and take notes of whatever is interesting with time stamps (could use some screenshot for example)

B:Use movies or short shows
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “Video Editing Software”