Is this noobish? (what other editing programs are there?)

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Is this noobish? (what other editing programs are there?)

Post by OmniStrata » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:55 pm

Ok, we all know Premiere... [most of us anyway]

I'm just wondering if there are other progs out there one can reccomend...

[not by Adobe]

programs that edit amvs differently...

I'm not bored of Premiere, but perhaps if I set myself up right, I can try things that neither Premiere nor other programs alone can do...

So help me, I SHALL DO IT...

But still, what other's can you point my snout at?

and yes, Majix Music Maker is on my "to try" list... ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:04 pm

http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

I don't have any good examples of what can be done with it, though.

Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:07 pm

Vegas Video is alright...
ImageImage

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:09 pm

This is a direction I too am headed in.

I'm planning on giving a whole range of programs a try to see where they excel, and I'm not the slightest bit afraid of using whatever gets a particular job done the best, even if it means using 10 different programs to make a vid.

I posted a short list of stuff in that other thread you posted to, Omni, just to review and expand:

Majix music maker
Goldwave
Vegas Video
After Effects
Combustion
*whatever else I can find out there that may have a unique approach*

I'll play around with any or all of these as the time and opportunity present themselves, looking for anything new or interesting they may allow me to do.

Post up some more, people.

What have you heard of/are curious about?
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:09 pm

Well Magix seems to be a good one to use.
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:20 pm

trythil wrote:http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

LIES! :wink:

I just watched your new vid a couple times, and thought it quite good. I'll probably opinionate it later.

Hitori: :D :D :D
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

koronoru
Org Profile

Post by koronoru » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:10 pm

trythil wrote:http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

I've done all my videos with Cinelerra (two finished and posted, one in progress now - read my journal!). Under Linux, there aren't that many other choices. Overall, I like it with reservations. It is a royal bitch to install - I had no success with binary packages (maybe they would work better if I were running Debian or an RPM-based distribution instead of Slackware...) and to compile from source, I had to hack a bunch of things that broke. I don't think you can expect to install from source unless you speak C and Make fluently, and at least pidgin Intel assembly language. It's a resource hog, as well, although I've gotten results on a system *far* below the "recommended" specs (I'm using a dual Celeron 433). The recommendations are for someone who wants editing to be truly sexy; if you're patient and humble you can work on a much cheaper machine. Since the rendering is off-line, the quality of output is just as good on a slow machine, it just takes longer.

Since I have no experience of Premiere or any other Windows software, I can't really comment on how it compares. Just in absolute terms, I like it. The interface is polished and pretty intuitive. It does pretty much all I expect from a nonlinear editor. Versatility in terms of input and output formats could be better, but that is partly because I disabled most of them to make the build and install easier. Unlike much other open-source video software, Cinelerra comes with pretty much everything you need in the package, so you don't have to take a worldwide tour of offshore data havens to find libRandomVideoGlueSoftware. Cinelerra is based on Broadcast2000, which had good capture support, but I haven't used Cinelerra's capture so I can only guess that it should also be good.

Because of codec problems, I haven't used Cinelerra for my final renders to MPEG-2. I've had it render to a sequence of PNG files, and then used a custom script, netpbm, and transcode, to assemble them into MPEG-2 and encode and multiplex in the audio. Note that the versions of my videos on the Web are MPEG-1, and in some cases have quality problems from the low bitrate; that shouldn't be blamed on Cinelerra, it's the fault of the codec in transcode.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:18 pm

koronoru wrote: Note that the versions of my videos on the Web are MPEG-1, and in some cases have quality problems from the low bitrate; that shouldn't be blamed on Cinelerra, it's the fault of the codec in transcode.
Check your PMs; there are better ways to do it ;)

I've also done my videos with Cinelerra + a host of other tools installed from source...I just don't that they're really outstanding :P

Compiling from source isn't that hard; you just need to know some basic C++ semantics. You don't need to know IA32 ASM, really -- just comment out the parts that bug you. The MMX detection routines in libdv, for example, I just ripped out and replaced with a return 1; because I got sick of screwing around with them...

XenoDrake
Org Profile

Post by XenoDrake » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:29 pm

as of late i have been lookign at THIS proggy

http://www.discreet.com/products/combustion/

this qould quit possable put Premiere to shame. i got the demo, played with it for a wile. seems easy enough. but i havent really got my hands dirty with it yet. i got a project that drawing all my atintion at the moment.
but take a look, its well worth it

~XenoDrake
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 512 character limit
www.myspace.com/xenodrake for tunes

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:55 pm

XenoDrake wrote:as of late i have been lookign at THIS proggy

http://www.discreet.com/products/combustion/

this qould quit possable put Premiere to shame. i got the demo, played with it for a wile. seems easy enough. but i havent really got my hands dirty with it yet. i got a project that drawing all my atintion at the moment.
but take a look, its well worth it

~XenoDrake

Discreet always has the hook-up with the shiznit

Products

But their stuff is more post production, CG, and animation.

Return to “Video Editing Software”